Jussie Smollett briefly appeared in court on Tuesday, March 12, to determine if cameras would be allowed in the courtroom for his upcoming hearing.
The Empire star, 36, is accused of staging a racist, homophobic attack on himself and filing a false report to police.
Judge Leroy Martin Jr. has approved cameras for his next court appearance but the judge noted that "all bets are off" after a new judge is assigned permanently to the case.
Jussie attorney Tina Glandian called said the defense welcomed cameras so that public could "see the evidence, [or] the lack thereof."
Jussie, who opted for a suit and dress coat, made his brief appearance in the court with his two brothers, a sister-in-law, and an assistant. The actor didn't make any kind of remarks during the brief court appearance.
Jussie Smollett and legal team arrives for hearing about cameras in the court room.
— Charlie De Mar (@CharlieDeMar) March 12, 2019
Jussie wasn’t required to appear in court. However, a spokesperson for his defense team, Anne Kavanagh, told media that The Mighty Ducks star wants to do it "to show confidence in his innocence."
As we previously reported, Jussie was arrested on February 21 for filing a false report to police, claiming that he was a victim of a racist and homophobic attack. He was charged with felony disorderly conduct.
For more updates, stay connected with Frostsnow.