Trending :top header content

Frostsnow
Home News Homeless Man Johnny Bobbitt Faces Sentencing in GoFundMe scam

Homeless Man Johnny Bobbitt Faces Sentencing in GoFundMe scam

Mahammad Arsad shekh Fri Apr, 2019
Homeless Man Johnny Bobbitt Faces Sentencing in GoFundMe scam

The homeless veteran, namely Johnny Bobbitt admitted to conspiring with a couple in New Jersey in a GoFundMe scam, raising more than $400,000.

Johnny is scheduled to appear in court in southern New Jersey on Friday, April 12. He pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit theft by deception in state court in March.

He has admitted to getting involved in a drug program. He has been facing five years of probation as part of his plea deal.

As per the report, in 2017, Katelyn McClure and her then-boyfriend, Mark D’Amico, made up a story about Johnny giving $20 to help the couple when her car ran out of gas.

They all gained widespread notoriety and more than 14,000 people donated through GoFundMe to help the homeless. But Burlington County prosecutors said that it turned to be a scam.

According to GoFundMe, it refunded the donations.

Authorities began investigating last year after Bobbitt sued the couple for allegedly not giving him the money.

Katelyn and Mark claimed the cash would be donated to the homeless veteran, but authorities said the trio split the money and spent it lavishly, including on designer bags, a BMW and trips to Las Vegas.

For more updates, stay tuned to Frostsnow.

Latest