Frostsnow

Nick Carter Won't Be Charged With Sexual Assault and Rape Alligation

Updated On 13 Sep, 2018 Published On

The sexual assault and rape charges made by Melissa Schuman against Nick Carter has been declined by The Los Angeles District Attorney's Office, who cited that the statute of limitations had expired.

In a statement to ET at the time, she said that Melissa "never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual."

According to documents obtained on Tuesday, September 11, the D.A.'s office says that the statute of limitations expired in 2013.

The documents read,

The reporting party alleged that in 2003, she was the victim of a sexual assault perpetrated by the suspect in his apartment. The victim was 18 years old at the time of the assault. The statute of limitations expired in 2013. Therefore, an analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of evidence is not warranted and the matter is declined.

In a statement to ET, Melissa said she expected the news.

My family and I were well aware of the likelihood that my case was not prosecutable due to the statute of limitations in California regarding rape which was modified in 2016. It is unfortunate that the law isn’t fully retroactive to accommodate assaults that have happened in the past, regardless of how far back. It gives me great solace to know that my testimony is fully documented, investigated and sealed for the future if needed by law enforcement. I gave my statement, as did the other witnesses. Speaking out was the best thing I could have ever done for myself and I hope it inspires others to do the same if it feels right for them.

Nick's lawyer, Michael Holtz, meanwhile, said his client the singer is "happy to put this matter behind him."

The statement read,

Nick Carter was cleared today when the L.A. County District Attorney’s Office rejected the charges against him. Nick has denied these allegations ever since he first learned of them last year, and was confident the District Attorney would conclude that there was no basis to pursue charges against him. He is happy to put this matter behind him.

As previously reported, last November, Melissa, who is known for the all-girl teen band Dream, shared a lengthy post on her blog and claimed that the musician raped her when she was 18 and he was 22.

At the time, she said that she was invited over to the singer's house during a day off from the movie the two were co-starring in.

After arriving at his apartment with a friend, Nick brought her into the bathroom, where she the duo allegedly started kissing. She claimed Nick despised her objections before he performed oral sex on her.

Nick then allegedly demanded Melissa perform oral sex on him. She wrote at the time, "My thought was the only way to get out was to get him to finish what he had started."

She further claimed that Nick then took her to the bedroom, where he raped her.

For more updates, stay tuned to Frostsnow.