Following the shooting in New Orleans, Louisiana on Saturday, July 28, three people have been found dead, leaving at least seven people injured, police say.
According to authorities, on the evening of Saturday, July 28, “NOPD Second District officers responded to a call of an aggravated battery by shooting involving multiple adult victims” in the 3400 block of South Claiborne Avenue, which is just three miles far from the popular French Quarter.
When the police arrived found three victims among which two were males and one was female. The victims were suffering from apparent gunshot wounds who were pronounced dead at the scene.
According to NOPD reports, the seven other injured victims had been rushed to local hospitals before officers arrived.
One has gone into critical surgery with the remaining six in “various conditions” that are “non-life threatening”, authorities say.
Two suspects, who reportedly wore, hooded sweatshirts are accused of opening fire into the crowd, striking at least 10 victims. They fled the scene and are not yet arrested.
In a press conference, Police Chief Michael Harrison said that the the suspects fired their weapons “indiscriminately,” adding, “this is an extremely tragic incident.”
Following the tragic incident, New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell said in a statement that authorities will focus “every resource necessary to ending this horror and seeing justice done.”