Frostsnow

Jussie Smollett Speaks Out After Not Pleading Guilty on 16 Felony Charges

Updated On 27 Mar, 2019 Published On

Jussie Smollett has broken his silence at a press conference on Tuesday, March 26, all criminal charges against him dropped by Chicago prosecutors.

The Empire star told media,

Hey everybody, I just made a couple notes. First of all, I want to thank my family, my friends, the incredible people of Chicago, and all over the country and the world who have prayed for me, who have supported me, who have shown me so much love. No one will ever know how much that’s meant to me and I will be forever grateful.

The actor, who appeared calm while addressing the crowd, further said that he has been "truthful and consistent on every single level since day one."

He continued,

I would not be my mother’s son if I was capable of one drop of what I’ve been accused of. This has been an incredibly difficult time, honestly one of the worst of my entire life but I am a man of faith and a man of knowledge of history and I wouldn’t bring my family through this, I just wouldn’t. I want to thank my legal counsel from the bottom of my heart and I would also like to thank the state of Illinois for attempting to do what’s right. Now, I would like nothing more than to just get back to work and move on with my life.

He concluded his statement saying,

But make no mistake, I will always continue to fight for the justice, equality, and betterment of marginalized people everywhere. Again, thank you for all the support, thank you for faith, and thank you to God. Bless you all. Thank you very much.

Sources confirmed on Tuesday, March 26, that Cook County prosecutors dropped all 16 felony charges against the actor two months after the alleged attack against him.

The singer claimed on in late January that he was a victim of a racist and homophobic incident but he himself was listed as a suspect following the investigation on February 21.

During a press conference earlier this month, police claimed that Jussie made a story of the attack himself just to get a raise on Empire. However, throughout the case, the proved his innocence.

In a statement to Us Weekly on Tuesday, the Cook County State Attorney’s Office said,

After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollet’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case,” the statement reads. We standby the Chicago Police Department’s investigation and our decision to approve charges in this case.

For more updates, stay connected with Frostsnow.