Frostsnow

James Franco’s Accusers Come Out, Want him to Apologize

Updated On 23 Jan, 2018 Published On

This year’s Oscar will not have a Casey Affleck moment. James Franco, the 39-year-old American actor who has been alleged of sexual misconduct, was shown the door out of the Academy Awards when his 2018 movie The Disaster Artist was not nominated by the committee. The same day, on Tuesday, two of the 5 women who have accused him of sexual misconduct shared more details of the case.

Violet Paley and Sarah Tither-Kaplan, two of the five accusers, came forward to reveal their experiences of being sexually exploited by the star. Franco, however, has already denied any wrongdoing on his part while talking to Stephen Colbert on The Late Show.

Franco was earlier criticized for wearing a TIMESUP pin in support for the victims of sexual harassments. Alison Brie, James Franco’s sister in law, had earlier spoken about the harassment allegations.

The two women shared their experiences on Twitter and Good Morning America.

Sarah Tither-Kaplan said that Franco created an “exploitative environment” for struggling actors by prioritizing those who were more comfortable with sex scenes and nudity in his master class.

“There were a lot of scenes that were added after we were given the original scripts that I felt I wished I had more time to consider them, or understand the artistic value of them…. A lot of the time they seemed gratuitous and exploitative.”

Paley, however, accused Franco of forcibly pushing her head into his lap.             

While both of them have said that it was important they spoke about, they agree that Franco cannot be branded the next Harvey Weinstein. They also said that it would be better if Franco apologized for his actions. 

“James is absolutely not a Harvey Weinstein, he is not an unfeeling monster who has no sense of reality, he created exploitative environments for non-celebrity women on his sets. I also think James is a very talented and valuable person,” Tither-Kaplan said.