Frostsnow

    Harvey Weinstein Apologizes to Jennifer Lawrence and Meryl Streep in Defense Lawsuit

    Updated On 23 Feb, 2018 Published On

    Harvey Weinstein has apologized for using Jennifer Lawrence and Meryl Streep's names as part of his attempt to get a sexual harassment and assault lawsuit against him dismissed in court.

    In a statement to US Magazine on Thursday, February 22, a spokesperson for the 65-year-old filmmaker said,

    Mr. Weinstein has been informed that his civil counsel responded in court to a class action lawsuit which improperly sought to include all actresses who had previously worked with Mr. Weinstein, even where those actresses have made no claim of wrongdoing. Even though Mr. Weinstein has worked with hundreds of actresses and actors who had only professional and mutually respectful experiences with him, Mr. Weinstein has directed in the future that no specific names be used by his counsel, even where those actors have made previous public statements about him.

    The statement continued,

    Mr. Weinstein acknowledges the valuable input both Meryl Streep and Jennifer Lawrence have contributed to this conversation and apologizes. Once again, moving forward, Mr. Weinstein has advised his counsel to not include specific names of former associates; and to avoid whenever possible, even if they are in the public record.

    Harvey Weinstein Apologizes to Jennifer Lawrence and Meryl Streep in Defense Lawsuit

    Harvey Weinstein Apologizes to Jennifer Lawrence and Meryl Streep in Defense Lawsuit

    Source: variety

    As previously reported, Jennifer spoke out against Harvey on Thursday after attempting to use her name in court on Wednesday, February 21, as evidence of his professional relationships with women.

    The disgraced movie producer was looking to have the suit, which was filed against him and The Weinstein Company on behalf of all women who worked with him, dropped.

    Jennifer said in a statement,

    Harvey Weinstein and his company are continuing to do what they have always done which is to take things out of context and use them for their own benefit. This is what predators do, and it must stop. For the record, while I was not victimized personally by Harvey Weinstein, I stand behind the women who have survived his terrible abuse and I applaud them in using all means necessary to bring him to justice whether through criminal or civil actions. Time’s up.

    Meryl also released a statement about Harvey’s claims and stood by his alleged sexual misconduct victims.

    She told Deadline on Wednesday,

    Harvey Weinstein’s attorneys use of my (true) statement — that he was not sexually transgressive or physically abusive in our business relationship — as evidence that he was not abusive with many OTHER women is pathetic and exploitive. The criminal actions he is accused of conducting on the bodies of these women are his responsibility, and if there is any justice left in the system he will pay for them — regardless of how many good movies, made by many good people, Harvey was lucky enough to have acquired or financed.

    As previously reported, the New York Times published a story detailing sexual misconduct allegations against Harvey over the decades in October 2017, where dozens of women came forward with their own stories about him.

    However, Harvey has always been denied all allegations made against him.