Emilia Clarke Speaks on Suffering 2 Major Brain Aneurysms

Updated On 22 Mar, 2019 Published On

Emilia Clarke was so lucky to be alive! The Game of Thrones star secretly suffered two terrifying brain aneurysms during the early seasons of the HBO hit series, and she has finally broken her silence on her disease.

In an article published on The New Yorker on Thursday, March 21, the actress, 32, said that just weeks after finishing filming GOT season 1, in February 2011, she knew something was wrong during a workout.

She told the publication, "My trainer had me get into the plank position and I immediately felt as though an elastic band were squeezing my brain."

She added,

Somehow, almost crawling, I made it to the locker room. I reached the toilet, sank to my knees and proceeded to be violently, voluminously ill. Meanwhile, the pain —shooting, stabbing, constricting pain — was getting worse. At some level, I knew what was happening — my brain was damaged.

Clarke was rushed to the hospital where she came to know that she was diagnosed with a subarachnoid hemorrhage. It is "a life-threatening type of stroke, caused by bleeding into the space surrounding the brain."

Clarke underwent a "minimally invasive" brain surgery, "endovascular coiling." Surgeons sealed off the aneurysm with a wire that was inserted into her femoral artery in her groin.

The Me Before You star explained to the outlet, "When I woke, the pain was unbearable. I had no idea where I was. My field of vision was constricted."

The actress slowly recovered from the procedure. However, she later suffered aphasia in which people start forgetting things. She even had forgotten her name.

She said,

My full name is Emilia Isobel Euphemia Rose Clarke, but now I couldn’t remember it. Instead, nonsense words tumbled out of my mouth and I went into a blind panic. I’d never experienced fear like that — a sense of doom closing in. I could see my life ahead, and it wasn’t worth living. I am an actor; I need to remember my lines. Now I couldn’t recall my name.

She then admitted that she even asked medical staffs to let her die as she was very frightened that she would never be fully recovered.

The aphasia, fortunately, later passed and one month later, she was finally discharged from the hospital.

For more updates, stay connected with Frostsnow.