Christchurch Shooting: Woman, 66, Considers as Hero for Helping Injured Victim

Updated On 16 Mar, 2019 Published On

A Christchurch mass shooting witness named Jill Keats is considered as among the many heroes who helped giving shelter and providing medical assistance to victims when the terror attack occurred on March 15.

Keats and her sister were heading towards a local mall to enjoy lunch when they heard the horrific sounds of gun shooting which they initially thought were firecrackers.

Also Read - Facebook Removes Graphic Content Related to the Mosque Shootings in New Zealand

Keats told to Newshub, "All of a sudden it got quite violent, and I thought, ‘That’s not firecrackers.’ One fell to the left of my car and one fell to the right."

She added,

For a few minutes I stopped the car in shock and I leaned across the seats to try and avoid getting shot. I opened up my driver’s door and got out and a guy comes up and says, ‘Are you alright?,’ and I say, ‘Yeah I haven’t been shot,’

People around them had been shot at and many of them were already shot.

She recalled the incident, saying,

The poor bugger lying on the verge had been shot in the back. We opened my passengers’ door and my driver’s door and pulled him around and opened up the back as well to give us some protection.

Keats worked with a "nice Muslim guy" to dress wounds of the injured person’s with a first aid kit they retrieved from a third man.

She continued,

The guy I was compressing, he was trying to ring his wife and I managed to get it and answer the phone and I said, ‘Your husband’s been shot outside the mosque. Don’t come here to Deans Ave., you won’t get through but please get to a hospital and wait for him’

When the anchor called Keats a hero, she replied,

You just do what you do at the time. I wish I could’ve done more. I’m 66 – I never thought in my life I would see something like this. Not in New Zealand.

The tragic incident left at least 49 people dead and 20 injured after a heavily-armed man opened fire at Muslim worshippers at Friday prayer in two Christchurch mosques in New Zealand.

The suspect, who is identified as Brenton Harrison Tarrant, 28, broadcasted the horrific live stream of the terror attack on the internet.

For more updates, stay tuned to Frostsnow.